Saturday 8 June 2013

Image Transfer

For a while now I've wanted to experiment with a couple of ways of transfering image onto cloth - using acrylic matte medium & digital printing.  I've known & read alot about both but just never had the right project to use either technique.  I'm working on pieces inspired by the historical walk & sketch tour I organised a few weeks back & since I did more photography than sketching it seems apt that I integrate at least some of the photos into my work.
 
Using acrylic medium to transfer images is a well known technique amongst the mixed-media crowd.  I used the techniques as described in the book 'Paper & Metal Leaf Lamination' by Claire Benn, Jane Dunnewold & Leslie Morgan which is full of wonderful inspirational images.  However, I didn't enjoy the process at all, I found it laborious, messy & really just 'not my thing.'  This was the result...
 
 
 
The images are soft rather than crisp, which I don't mind but I'm just not sure what to do with it now.  Of course my husband spotted the piece on the ironing board and said 'Oh I like that, I'll have it in my office when it's finished' so I now have to complete it! 
 
The second method I tried was using Spoonflower to digitally print cloth - I have been longing to try this!  In my work I want to really highlight the contrast between all the new construction work & the lovely old brick buildings which are quickly being crowded out.  I manipulated one of my photos, uploaded it on Spoonflower & a week later - whoosh! - a wonderful, vibrant piece of cloth arrived on my doorstep.
 
 
I love this method!  BUT, again, I don't really know what to do with it!  If I didn't have a deadline coming up I would simply use it as cushion fabric.  I'm thinking of adding some very graphic stencilling with minimal, if any, stitching and then wrapping it around a large canvas.  Keep checking in to see how it looks!
 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...